top of page


It's important that you understand the different types of visas and choose the right one, otherwise you might end up with a big problem. The Department of Home Affairs in Australia do not issue refunds on visas, so if you choose the wrong one it'll be money down the drain, or worse, you'll arrive in Oz on the wrong visa and will be unable to change it unless you leave the country and re-apply.

Below is some information on the two most common types of visa for people that are going backpacking in Australia. If you have any questions about getting a visa for Oz just contact us and we'll be happy to help.


There are lots of different visas for Australia, including a few different types of visitor visas, student visas, family and partner visas and skilled visas.

The full list is here.

However the two most common types of visas are a Working Holiday Visa (WHV) and an Electronic Travel Authority (ETA).

Details on these and how to apply is below.



With a Working Holiday Visa you'll be able to spend 12 months working and travelling in Australia. In order to get this visa you need to be aged between 18 and 35 and not have any dependent children. You must be outside of Australia to apply and we recommend that you apply at least one month before you are due to depart.

* Note: The conditions of this visa are currently under review and may change before Australia re-opens their borders.

Get more info and apply for your Working Holiday Visa.


If you're going to Australia for a holiday and do not plan on working then this is your best option. With an ETA you can travel in Australia for up to 3 months. Then if you want to stay longer you can leave Oz and return and you'll receive another 3 months, and you can do this for up to 12 months.

You must be outside of Australia when you apply and this visa will usually be approved within 48 hours.

You can get more info on this visa and apply for it here.

bottom of page